Some years ago. I adopted an adult dog, to keep my other dog company. When I went to collect her I could tell that the family I got her from were indifferent to her.
She quickly settled in, but seemed rather distant and would never come when called. I tried bribing her with food, to no avail. Then I tried showering her with love. That worked wonders! Everything she did that I approved of, she was told how wonderful she was (and ignored most of what I didn’t like her doing). She lapped it up as if she had never had it before, which may have been true.
I feel that the expression and the feeling of love is missing from most peoples’ (and animals’) lives, however affluent they may be. How much better a world we would live in if, instead of buying presents we may not be able to afford, for people who don’t want them, to be discarded in the environment, we showed love and appreciation. Those around you will have much greater benefit that a gift, which may only last a short time. And so will you.
- Anyone who is significant in your life, have you told them how they enhance and enrich your life? How you appreciate your relationship?
- Spend time really listening to another’s life story/problem, rather than telling them what to do. Children especially appreciate this. They often find the solution when they have shared their dilemma.
- Tell your animal/s how much they mean to you. You are unlikely ever to be aware of just how much they do for you.
- We are human and can get irritable or angry sometimes. When we have calmed down, apologise for our outburst (if not for the reason) and try to understand their point of view. You don’t have to agree, just appreciate they are different.
- Appreciate what you have, rather than focus on what you don’t have.
- Material possessions have never brought lasting happiness. Only love can do that.
- Connect with your feelings and inner wisdom more than your mind.
- Appreciate Nature. Tell a tree or a plant how much you like their shade, their produce, their beauty, their being. Plants feel love just as much as people and animals, and respond equally.
- Keep the feeling of appreciation and love with you always. Lavish it on anything that speaks to you. Watch how you change.
There is little that the power of love cannot overcome.